City Encourages Residents to “Cease the Grease”!
Fats, oils, and grease are the primary cause of issues the City finds in sewer lines, making them a real "pain in the drain". Clogged sewer lines can lead to sewer backups, which are bad for the environment and can be expensive. The City of Janesville does everything it can to prevent sewer backups, but we can't do it alone. We need your help keeping grease out of the City’s sewer system!
Want to help "cease the grease"? Here are a few things that you can do to help!
- Wipe or scrape your dishes before washing them.
- Remove excess oil from pots and pans with a paper towel and throw away the towel in a trash can.
- Use strainers in sink drains to collect food scraps and throw away the scraps in the trash.
- Scrape food scraps from dishes into trash cans or garbage bags.
- Avoid using your garbage disposal.
- Remove oil and grease from dishes, pans, fryers, and griddles. Cool first before you skim, scrape, or wipe off excess grease and put it into the trash.
- Put used fat, oil, and grease in a used soup or vegetable can. The City has reusable lids, free of charge. Call (608) 755-3115 if you'd like one for your kitchen or stop by one of the following locations:
City Clerk's Office Janesville Water Utility
18 N. Jackson St., Janesville 123 E. Delavan Dr., Janesville
Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Running hot water along with the fats, oil, and grease doesn't help! No amount of hot water keeps grease from eventually congealing. This only gets the grease through the part of the pipes in your home. Once it goes into the sewer and cools, it sticks to the walls of the pipes and creates an expensive and messy problem of sewer backups - for you, for your neighbors, and for the creeks and rivers in your neighborhood.
Please spread the word about how important it is to "cease the grease." An informational video can be seen by clicking here. Together, we can protect our sewer system and the environment. For more information, please call Water Utility at (608) 755-3115 or visit www.ci.janesville.wi.us/ceasethegrease.